Do you have a passion for helping people know and accept themselves? Are you interested in working with students at any level of education, all the way through college?
Do you want to work in areas such as rehabilitation centers, in-patient facilities, or mental health agencies? Can you see yourself working with others on behavioral issues, wellness, formulating strategies for success, and personal transformation?
Your career path in counseling depends on your personality and your interests. As you earn your masters in counselor education, you'll find a wide range of areas that you can specialize in:
- Marriage and Family Counselors help families learn to work better together. They also provide guidance for couples and families trying to improve their relationships.
- School Counselors help children in elementary, junior high, and high school find their personal, social, and educational goals. This includes helping them overcome behavioral and social issues, as well as helping them decide on a career and higher education path.
- Career Counselors provide help for adults and students looking to improve their skills, and looking for help in their job search. If you are interested in career development and you enjoy helping others, becoming a career counselor might be a good fit for you.
- Mental Health Counselors work with their clients to help them cope with difficult situations. Depression, anxiety, and other issues related to mental health can be difficult to overcome. These counselors also help family members learn how to manage relatives with mental health issues.
- Play Therapists work with children, adolescents, and families by utilizing a developmentally appropriate intervention.
- Substance Abuse Counselors help others get their addictions under control. They also work closely with families of addicts by organizing support groups.
If you want to earn your masters degree in counseling, you have some options regarding where you want to work. After receiving your MS in Counselor Education and fulfilling state licensing requirements, you can decide where you want to work. There are a number of opportunities in a wide variety of places. Some of the options you have include:
- Work at a school: School Counselors are found in elementary, junior high, and high schools.
- Work at a clinic: There are a number of clinics set up for different purposes. Substance abuse treatment centers, in-patient treatment facilities and community mental health centers all employ counselors.
- Open a private practice: You can start a business based on your area of expertise.
Information courtesy of mastersincounseling.org.
Become a Counselor Today
Apply to be a part of our MS in Counselor Education program, and you can help change people's lives for the better.